NexGenTV is a thirty month research project. The project was selected for public funding
NexGenTV has been labeled by the two technology competitive clusters, SCS and Image & Réseaux . The project also received funding from the Region PACA, Region Bretagne, Rennes Metropole and CASA.
Television is undergoing a revolution, moving from the TV screen to multiple screens. Today’s user watches TV and, at the same time, browses the web on a tablet, sends SMS, posts comments on social networks, searches for complementary information on the program, etc.
Facing this situation, NexGen-TV was thought to offer news solutions for a media that is now outdated.
The foundations of the project translates into functionalities such as the automatic detection of the highlights of a program, the (semi)-automatic addition of complementary information for a program, or the optimization of the user experience via increased interaction in line with the viewer’s expectations.
The solutions that we will develop within NexGen-TV will cover two cases:
- LIVE: The main challenge in the live scenario is that of real-time. We will demonstrate this scenario on sports programs (“FIFA Euro 2016”) and political debates;
- REPLAY: The main challenge for replay is the quality of the information presented to the user in addition to the program. We will consider programs with a strong added-value of the additional information, such as cultural entertainment or advertisements.
- Develop a versatile platform for the aggregation and distribution of video content enriched by data from other sources (web, videos, social networks, open databases, etc.)
- Design the tools and technology required for the semi-automatic creation of multiscreen applications
Develop and experience second-screen application on a panel of programs
These applications will lead to tests with actual users to better understand the expectations of the general public so as to create better applications and define a sustainable business model related to these applications.
- Defintion of a business model to monetize second screen applications